Sunday, September 25, 2011

why me?

Not only am I an accidental geekist. I'm now a kind of an accidental technology commentator. Serendipity—which is a happy accident. And it's really what having a blog is all about. No one tells you what to do. You try to find ways to draw people in. You hope they like what they see, come back for me, and pass the link on to others. Successful blogs are the written equivalent of viral videos.

Why should you care what I think about technology?
  • My spelling and grammar are impeccable.1 OK, my spelling isn't actually impeccable, but I always correct errors I find. And if you see me write with poor grammar, you can be sure I did it on purpose. Like, for comic effect.
  • If there are any errors, you can always post a comment! I monitor comments but I let all but the spam through.2
  • I have a wry sense of humour that comes from decades of bantering with my life partner, as well as from unhealthy doses of Monty Python and the Kids in the Hall.
  • I'm pretty smart, and I've learned a lot both doing my job and spending time glued to my computer and to the interwebs when I should have been outside playing (or doing my job).3
  • I try never to comment on anything that I don't know enough about. I learned my lesson on that one a long time ago. If I do, you can call me on it.
  • I am a skeptic, not a cynic. I don't like everything. I don't hate everything. I'm Fair and Balanced.™4
  • I'm older than dirt. OK, not that old, but I wasn't born yesterday. Not even close, sadly. I've been in the business for a long time.
  • Did I mention about comments? I handle feedback very well, even feedback that tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. Which I might not, despite trying not to get into that situation (see above).
Besides, how many female technology commentators do you know? Hopefully you're at least somewhat curious.

1English degrees really are good for something.
2Unless a comment is egregiously nasty, of course!
3Just kidding. I always do my job.
4Yes, they really trademarked that phrase. I'll probably get busted for using it.

1 comment:

James Harder said...

If you like Monty Python and Kids in the Hall, then may I also suggest Little Britain. Unhealthy, perhaps, but definitely funny.